Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a benefit that can be paid if you need help with care or mobility. It helps you meet the extra costs of living with a disability. It is split into two parts: a mobility component and a care component.

You can claim DLA for a child under the age of 16 if you can prove that they:

  • Have had care or mobility needs for at least three months
  • Will have care or mobility needs for at least six months

There is no lower age limit for the care component and anyone over the age of three can claim for the mobility component. If you are over the age of 65 you may also be eligible for DLA.

If you are aged between 16-65 you may be eligible to apply for Personal Independence Payments.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is replacing DLA for people aged 16-64.

PIP is designed to help you meet some of the extra costs you may have because of myasthenia.

PIP consists of two components:

  • Daily Living
  • Mobility

These components can each be paid at the standard rate or the enhanced rate.

The amount you get is based on how your myasthenia affects how well you carry out everyday activities.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance provides additional funding for people aged 65 or older who need assistance with personal care for an ongoing or fixed period.

To be eligible for Attendance Allowance, you must:

  • Be 65 or older
  • Need assistance with personal care during the day and/or during the night (washing, eating, dressing, etc.)
  • Need help with communication
  • Have difficulty walking
  • Need supervision to ensure you don't cause yourself harm
  • Be a resident of the UK

Carer's Allowance

You may be eligible for Carer's Allowance if you:

  • Spend over 35 hours a week caring for someone with substantial caring needs
  • Are 16 or over
  • Have been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least two of the last three years
  • Normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or live abroad as a member of the armed forces
  • Are not in full time education or studying for 21 hours a week or more
  • Earn less than £116 a week (after taxes, care costs while you are at work and 50% of what you pay into your pension)

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) provides financial help to people who are unable to work full time or at all due to illness or disability. If you wish to apply for ESA, you must not be receiving statutory sick pay.

You must have a Work Capability Assessment while your ESA claim is being assessed.

You will then be placed in one of two groups if you are entitled to ESA:

  • Work-related activity group. You will be placed in this group if you are not well enough to work right now, but could work with support. You will have to attend meetings with a personal advisor.
  • Support group. You will be placed in this group if your myasthenia severely limits what you can do. You will not have to prepare for a return to work (but you can do if you wish to).

Medical Exemption Certificate

If you have myasthenia you may be entitled to free prescriptions. You should ask your GP to give you an application form and once completed, you should receive your certificate within 10 working days.

If you don't have a valid certificate and tick the medical exemption box on the prescription, you could face a fine of up to £100.

The NHS states that it is your responsibility to renew your certificate, even if you don't receive a reminder.

If your certificate is invalid, or you are awaiting to apply, please keep all your prescription receipts as you may be able to reclaim them.

You can find more information about the medical exemption certificate at www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/exemption-certificates/medical-exemption-certificates.

For more information about all of these benefits, contact myaware on 01332 290 219 or at [email protected].

Benefits for Transport