Employment is likely to be one of the most important goals for you and your family. Many people with myasthenia continue to work as they wish with minor adaptations.

The decision to notify your employer about your myasthenia is yours, and you are not legally obliged to. However, it is important to consider telling your employer if you think you may need some help, now or in the future.

If your job involves driving, you must notify the DVLA of your myasthenia as it is an offence under the Road Traffic Act 1988 to fail to notify the DVLA of a disability.

If you are diagnosed with myasthenia and are in employment then your employer can’t discriminate against you because of your myasthenia – you’re protected by the Equality Act 2010.

If you’re an employee and can’t work because of your myasthenia, you may be able to get Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).

If you still can’t work after 28 weeks, or you can’t get Statutory Sick Pay, you can apply for Employment and Support Allowance.

Your employer can’t dismiss you just because you’ve become disabled and you also can’t be selected for redundancy just because you’re disabled.

If you are looking for employment, you should be honest in completing the application process and you should not be worried about using a letter to explain myasthenia in more detail – you can always ask us for leaflets to help you with this.

If you should need more information about employment or other support available, you can contact myaware on 01332 290 219 or at [email protected].

Education support