Myaware is the name for the Myasthenia Gravis Association. MGA has been around since May 1976. We support people with myasthenia and their families, increase public and medical awareness of the condition and raise funds for research and support staff. Members of myaware can access our free benefits and counselling services.

If you’ve just been diagnosed with myasthenia, you’ve come to the right place. Our aim is to make your life easier. We provide information, advice and support. Call us now or join myaware online. You will have free access to our resource centre which includes advice on everything from the latest medical developments and treatments to how to negotiate the benefits system. You can also get in touch with other members who understand what you are going through.



It’s bad enough getting to grips with a rare medical condition, you don’t have to struggle through the benefits system too. My name is Steve Bradshaw and I am your dedicated benefits advisor.


This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  

You’ll find fact sheets with the latest news and changes to the benefits system here.

If in doubt, get in touch and I’ll give you advice on how to ensure information specifically relevant to someone with myasthenia is included in the application.

There are a number of ways that we are trying to assist you and we hope to develop and build on this as we go forward.

The Department of Work and Pensions has produced an on-line Personal Independence Payments (PIPs) toolkit. This includes general information about claiming for PIPs. However for members of Myaware a free of charge, personal benefits service is available to ensure that information specifically relevant to someone with myasthenia is included in any application. Myaware has prepared an leaflet giving an explanation of the purpose, working and impact of the new Employment and Support Allowance. Please also find a link to useful government help lines and addresses.

If you are in receipt of a disability related benefit and there is a significant improvement in your condition over a period of time, it must be reported to the Department of Works and Pensions (DWP).  Failure to report material changes could result in an investigation and possible prosecution for fraud.

The Employment Support Allowance - What is it? - Impact and Claiming

Government help lines and addresses


VAT Relief


If you are disabled, you won't be charged VAT on products designed or adapted for your own personal or domestic use.

For more information visit



You can get a medical exemption certificate for free prescriptions if you are in the UK. Please ask your GP or Pharmacist for details on how to get a certificate.







© 2015   Myasthenia Gravis Association