Username Password: Remember me

Drinking...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Drinking...

Drinking... 05 Jun 2012 18:25 #1734195

• Green
  • MG Forum Junior
Now, i am really gonna make myself sound bad here but its a question i'm not sure i should ask my doctor!

Havent really had a drink since i was diagnosed with mg last november. I went out in march and had a few drinks but that has been it really, after the few drinks in march i was still totally sober although normally i think i would have felt some effects.

This weekend i had a proper party to celebrate a few things and the party went on until very late (birds were singing!) as you can imagine there were many drinks had but again, nothing! Not even the slightest drunk feeling, i didnt really notice until quite late in the night as i was having a great time anyway but i certainly should have been feeling something!

Why is this? I wonder are there so many drugs going into me that i am immune to alcohol now? Has anyone else experienced this? Will i be like this forever? Perhaps i should become a tea totaller, it would be cheaper!

Please dont judge me, im only young!

Re: Drinking... 05 Jun 2012 18:47 #1734196

• jantoo
  • MG Forum Senior
Hi Young Green,

the medication I am on seems to have the opposite effect, one half of cider makes my face go beetroot, and last year after a few drink and i mean one lager, two pub spirits, had a fall, no not a fall somehow slid to the floor in a drunken stupour...

on azathioprine, mestinon, plus other hjunk that I have been on for years with no effects...

jantoo
p.s. my neuro laughed when i told him, no warnings about drinking etc.

Re: Drinking... 05 Jun 2012 19:27 #1734197

• CarolO
  • MG Forum Expert
Hi,

Never been warned not to drink, but do not feel well at all after a couple of glasses of wine. I now don't bother and stick to soft drinks - boring I know, but better than feeling awful.

Sorry not much help.

Re: Drinking... 06 Jun 2012 12:09 #1734198

• frankey
  • MG Forum Junior
I see where you are coming from, I used to work and enjoy a pint after work. I am new to all this, and too did not have a drink for a while.... Because I was to afraid to ask... It was a consultant that said go home for the week end and enjoy yourself.... so I did not to a great extent like the old working days, but enough to enjoy a laugh and a joke with my family, its a shame but our loved ones suffer with us, so my advice is a little of what you fancy cant do you no more harm, so enjoy.

Re: Drinking... 06 Jun 2012 18:17 #1734210

• Green
  • MG Forum Junior
Thanks for all the replies, i was waiting for a round of tutting!

I know my neuro isnt against drinking, he even advised that i have a drink when i was being discharged from hospital after all i had been through! My main concern was that i didnt get a drunk feeling that i would have normally gotten after the amount of drinks i had! I thought i would have bben the opposite after so long without a drink that i would have pulled a jantoo on it and fallen over!

Your right about the family being effected frankey, i have said since i got this that it has been worse for my family than it is for me! Its easier to deal with your own illness than it is to deal with the illness of a family member i reckon...

At least my family can feel the effects of a few drinks though!

Carol i was never a good wine drinker, its the bearer of sore heads for me! So i can sympathise with you there....
Last Edit: 06 Jun 2012 18:18 by Green.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frankey

Re: Drinking... 07 Jun 2012 10:28 #1734219

• robrait
  • MG Forum Junior
Asking whether I could still drink was one of the first questions I asked my Neuro when I first went onto medication

His response was it was OK within moderation.

Alcohol still affects me, just as it used to as far as the effects go, but recently I've started getting the 'go as red as a beetroot' effect that others have reported. I don't know why that should have started happening or what causes it...

I had a relapse at the end of last year and started suffering from generalised symptoms for the first time - until then I'd only ever had ocular symptoms. As I descended the slippery slope I stopped drinking altogether for a couple of months, as I was feeling terribly weak in the mornings, and was unsure whether a couple of drinks the previous evening made things worse or not.

I'm still not back to what used to pass as 'normal' but I will now have an occasional couple of glasses of wine or a couple of beers/ciders of an evening without any bad consequences.

One positive result of the abstinence is that I lost almost a stone in weight despite a big increase in my prednisolone intake
--

Rob

Re: Drinking... 07 Jun 2012 16:35 #1734227

• Howard1
  • MG Forum Newbie
Hi young Green,

I was diagnosed with MG while at university in 1971. Since then my symptons have been controlled mainly with Mestinon, circa 18 60mg pills per day, and one Mestinon Retard overnight.

For me, taking the above medication, the occasional pint in my twenties caused no problems.
Later on a pint or glass of wine although enjoyable, messed my symptoms up the following day or so and now I avoid alcohol altogether. Interestingly coffee had a similar if not a worse effect so I gave it up years ago.

My original Consultant encouraged me to continue with exercise, control my weight and only drink in moderation.

My family & friend are all delighted that I don't drink - they don't have to argue about who will be the designated driver.

Re: Drinking... 07 Jun 2012 16:45 #1734228

• frankey
  • MG Forum Junior
OMG Howard.... I love coffee.. Its a passion... Suppose it will have to go... With a fight tho..

Re: Drinking... 07 Jun 2012 18:11 #1734232

• CarolO
  • MG Forum Expert
Hi,

Now this is odd - coffee actually helps me feel a little better.

Strange how we all have slightly different MG symptoms and also react differently to things like alcohol, coffee etc.

Re: Drinking... 07 Jun 2012 18:18 #1734233

• Green
  • MG Forum Junior
CarolO wrote:
Hi,

Now this is odd - coffee actually helps me feel a little better.

Strange how we all have slightly different MG symptoms and also react differently to things like alcohol, coffee etc.

Maybe you wont have to give it up after all frankey!

Luckily i dont drink tea or coffee so im okay on that front, not a big alcohol drinker either really, wouldnt be one to crave a glass of wine in a friday after work but i ike a few drinks when im out for the night... Just hope that i wont be immune to the effects forever!

Luckily i am fairly symptom free, everything is really under control with drugs (long may that continue!) so i dont THINK i will fell worse with mg the next day.... Suppose a bit of trial and error will have to happen! I only had mg in my head, face, mouth, tounge, cheeks, forehead etc(couldnt close eyes rather than them being droopy) so maybe the tiredness after drinking would only happen if my limbs were effected.....

I'll be testing it out next thursday again anyway so ill report back on how i got on. My excuse: Tis birthday season mixed with the euros being on, cmon ireland!!!
Last Edit: 07 Jun 2012 18:19 by Green.

Re: Drinking... 07 Jun 2012 18:25 #1734234

• Green
  • MG Forum Junior
BpHoward mcc wrote:
Hi young Green,

My family & friend are all delighted that I don't drink - they don't have to argue about who will be the designated driver.

So mg has advantages for some people so! Lucky family! Ha

Liking my new "young" title by the way!

Re: Drinking... 07 Jun 2012 19:25 #1734235

• dusty
  • MG Forum Gold
coffee actually helps me feel a little better.

Me too. It lifts my ptosis a fair bit and so does very dark chocolate - Much more than Mestinon has ever done, but I'm obviously not advocating that anyone should self medicate with coffee/caffeine and/or give up or reduce their Mestinon...

Have had to cut back though as I think coffee and dark chocolate interfere with the absorption of my levothyroxine which I take for my hypothyroidism. I now usually have just one cup of coffee a day in the afternoons - well away from my levothyroxine which I take first thing in the morning - and not too near bed time either.

There was an article which talked about caffeine and MG on the old mga uk forum, but sadly I haven't been able to find it.
Last Edit: 07 Jun 2012 19:39 by dusty.

Re: Drinking... 08 Jun 2012 04:17 #1734237

• frankey
  • MG Forum Junior
Motion carried? The coffee stays... Especially at Christmas? With a drop of Brandy in it

Re: Drinking... 11 Jun 2012 13:52 #1734258

• richard o
  • MG Forum Newbie
hi green had mg since 2000, never really stopped drinking unless hospitalised (they tend not to approve) mostly wine with a meal. sometimes over indulged a bit. usually had the desired effect, never had no effect though. are you trying hard enough ? lol
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.05 seconds

© 2014   Myasthenia Gravis Association

Donate