Pregnancy and MG
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pregnancy and MG

Pregnancy and MG 14 May 2012 20:43 #1733928

• asgrl18
  • MG Forum Newbie
Hello everyone,

I am a 30 yrs old female and I am looking to have children and I was just wondering if anyone had become pregnant with MG and if so, what obstacles have you faced? Before, during and after...
Last Edit: 14 May 2012 20:43 by asgrl18.

Re: Pregnancy and MG 15 May 2012 09:44 #1733929

• dusty
  • MG Forum Gold
Hi

Pregnancy and MG has been discussed before on this forum - If you go to the tab at the top of this page labelled 'search' and then stick in the word pregnancy the relevant threads come up...One of the forum members who has MG had a baby not so long ago. This article too - also from this website - is about one woman's experience of MG in pregnancy, see: www.mga-charity.org/component/content/ar...-baby-louise-krupski Hope this helps.

Dusty
Last Edit: 15 May 2012 16:53 by dusty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: asgrl18

Re: Pregnancy and MG 15 May 2012 11:12 #1733930

• ragdoll
  • MG Forum Gold
It was twis who had a baby last year, I have pm'd her, I'm not sure if she has been on the forum lately (possibly otherwise engaged!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: asgrl18

Re: Pregnancy and MG 15 May 2012 14:52 #1733939

• asgrl18
  • MG Forum Newbie
Thank you Dusty, that was a great article.

Re: Pregnancy and MG 15 May 2012 14:53 #1733940

• asgrl18
  • MG Forum Newbie
I bet she must be really really busy with a new born at home!!

Re: Pregnancy and MG 15 May 2012 20:02 #1733955

• twis
  • MG Forum Junior
Hi, yes, it was me who had a baby last year. My second, which provided an interesting comparison with my first which was a very hands-off pregnancy.

I was very well (probably technically in remission) before I got pregnant, and stayed well for the pregnancy, birth and afterwards. My daughter was born without transient MG.

I think the hardest part of the journey was dealing with well meaning medical professionals who didn't really understand what was going on. So more medical appointments generally, put under the care of a consultant until I managed to have myself transferred back to midwife-led care, 3 extra 'growth' scans for goodness knows what reason ('because people with MG need extra scans), and a meeting with a paediatrician to get my wishes in writing that my baby would not be taken to special care for 72 hours for observation unless it was clear there was a medical need. My first child was born at home but clearly this wasn't practical for the second, but I wanted to make it as hands off as possible.

Looking back, there are funny moment. The conversation with the anaesthetist on Boxing Day where I was told I would need an epidural as soon as possible to set me up for a c-section, and that I would only be allowed 'sips of clear liquid' during labour. In the end, the baby arrived within ten minutes of arriving at the hospital so all the staff had chance to do was to hustle me into a room and grab anybody passing to help. I was sent home after less than 24 hours (I'd been told I'd be in for 72 hours) and as I left a midwife advised me that if I had another child I should consider a homebirth. That comment demonstrated such a lack of understanding of why I was there.

After the birth, I've been treated like any other mum. As a second time mother I was happy to be left and to raise any issues if necessary. Thankfully my baby remained well and I have remained well, so it's a happy ever after all round.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maecee2

Re: Pregnancy and MG 15 May 2012 20:04 #1733956

• twis
  • MG Forum Junior
Oh, and my newborn will be one year old in less than a fortnight. Where did that time go?

Re: Pregnancy and MG 15 May 2012 20:10 #1733957

• Maecee2
  • MG Forum Newbie
Twis

Lovely to hear a positive story. Well done.

Re: Pregnancy and MG 15 May 2012 21:56 #1733959

• asgrl18
  • MG Forum Newbie
Thank you so much, I am so happy to hear such a great outcome and that you and the baby are doing so well. Already a year old??? Congratulations!!! Hopefully I will one day soon be pregnant and share every moment with you guys But for now, I am tackling some breathing issues. I have a pulmonary function test this Thursday so wish me luck.

Again thank you for sharing your story!!! Its a great one!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.76 seconds

© 2014   Myasthenia Gravis Association

Donate